10 Things That Will Make You Happy
We all have those days where everything seems to be going wrong and your mood needs an almighty lift. It is all too easy to turn to the soppy music and hide in your pillow, but instead of wallowing in self pity why not try to improve your mood instead? Here are 10 ideas to turn your day from nay to yay!
- Take a bath! This is such a simple thing to do but there is nothing more calming than a nice hot bubble bath to help you relax and clear your mind. Play some relaxing music (if you need suggestions let me know!), close your eyes and wash away your troubles.
- Do some scrapbooking. Find some old magazines, photographs, and pieces of ribbon/fabric etc and create a cool scrapbook! Cutting and sticking may seem like something your five year old self would do, but it is extremely relaxing and having a good creative outlet can help release stress and tension.
- Go for a walk/run. This may seem like the last thing you want to do when you’ve had a bad day, but once you get going it is a great stress and tension release and personally being around nature always cheers me up. Exercise also releases endorphins, aka the happy chemical! If you don’t feel like something as high energy as a run, I find taking my dog is a great excuse to get out for a woodland walk.
- Write in a journal. This is something that personally helps me a great deal because it really helps to get something off your chest and have a little rant about and when it isn’t possible to talk to a friend about it this is something you can do. Once you’ve got all the bad stuff off your chest and cleared out all that negative energy, write about the positive. You could make a list of everything your thankful for, the things you like the most about yourself or things you are looking forward to in the future. This will help you put away that negative mindset and look towards to positive.
- Get laughing! Laughter is always said to be the best remedy, and there is science behind this because laughter releases endorphins. The best way to get a quick laughter fix is to look up funny videos on youtube, my favourites being anything involving cute animals, funny music videos and people falling down!
- Watch a movie. Obviously something like Titanic or Marley and Me would not be the best choice, so stick to the classic feel good movies like comedies and chick flicks! A happy, funny, feel good movie can be an instant mood boost and will also take your mind off things for a while. My personal favourites that always put a smile on my face are Clueless, Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging, Bridget Jone’s Diary, The Princess Diaries and 13 Going On 30. If you want any more suggestions let me know!
- Pamper yourself! Sometimes a bit of ‘me time’ is exactly whats needed after a difficult day. Its a great time to use all of those face masks at the back of your cupboard, so slap one on and sit back and relax. You could also give yourself a manicure or a pedicure, because there is nothing better than freshly painted nails! Who needs a beauty salon when you can relax in the comfort of your own home?
- Do something you love! Nothing will make you happier than doing a hobby or activity you love. If you like fashion for example, you could flick through fashion magazines or work on making some clothing. If you like swimming, go for a swim! If you like roller skating, go for skate etc etc, you get the picture!
- Catch up with friends. All of the activities I have listed so far are things that can be done alone, but sometimes all you need is a friend to cheer you up. Ask to meet up and do something fun like going out to eat or to the cinema or if that isn’t possible just give them a text or a call! I understand that sometimes your friends could be the problem, so ask a family member or relative instead!
- Put things into perspective! Remember that just because today was a bad day, doesn’t mean tomorrow has to be too. Today was just one day of many and things will get better, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel! Here are some quotes that I have seen that I hope will make some of you feel better :)
‘Every flower must grow through dirt.’
‘People throw rocks at things that shine.’
‘If you can’t beat them, dress better than them.’
‘What Susie says of Sally says more of Susie than of Sally.’
'Sometimes people think they know you. They know a few facts about you, and they piece you together in a way that makes sense to them. And if you don’t know yourself very well, you might even believe that they are right. But the truth is, that isn’t you. That isn’t you at all.’
‘If Plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters!’
‘Two men looked out from prison bars; One saw mud, the other stars.’
‘If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.’
‘Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.’
‘You mustn’t be afraid to sparkle a little brighter, darling.’
Hopefully this was even the tiniest bit helpful to someone, and if any of you ever need anyone to vent to or just to talk to my ask is always open!